Monday, July 20, 2009

Wrap-up post, "Live 1st Work 2nd"
Thanks to all who attended our wrap-up conversation at the Perfect Cup this morning. It was great to have a face-to-face conversation with those who have been reading the live first, work second book. An interesting conversation developed around the idea that we must do more to engage the millennials in our community and in our classrooms. We discussed that one emerging opportunity for this was the community's upcoming visioning processs. I look forward to all we may do together to bring this idea to life in our community in the months ahead. If you are successful at this in your workplace or in your realm of influence, come back and post it on this blog so we may celebrate your success and share your story in other venues in our community.

(By the way, one of my learnings from this morning is that Dalton State College now has an employee dedicated to creating civic engaement and service learning opportunities for students. What a great idea! )

There will be other opportunities to discuss this book in our community. For example, Dalton State College's Continuing Education Dept. is including it in a luncheon lecture series in the fall, October 19 and 26.
Stay tuned for more information...

If you desire to read more on related topics, I suggest:

The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida, www.creativeclass.com
The Fourth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe, www.fourthturning.com
Grown Up Digital by Don Tapscott, www.grownupdigital.com
Out of Our Minds: Learning to Be Creative by Ken Robinson, www.sirkenrobinson.com

Now on to our next study of Ken Robinson's "The Element: How finding Your Passion Changes Everything"...

1 comment:

  1. I'm really wishing I had checked the blog earlier. I would've loved to join the conversation at the perfect cup. I only got my twitter update a couple hours beforehand. So I couldn't make it, but I hope we can do it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete