Monday, July 20, 2009

Post 1, The Element
Sir Ken defines the element as the point at which natural talent meets personal passion. This is, I suspect, a rather overwhelming idea if you do not find yourself in this place in your life. As one person exclaimed to me as they began this book, 'Okay, the idea is great. Now, just tell me how to get there!" Of course, there are no GPS coordinates to point the way; however, we will each know when we have arrived at the destination. I rather like the concept of life as a creative journey, with twists and turns and evolving talent. I can't help but think of my son, Matt, who is very much in his "element" in the theatre. He would be the first to tell you that the journey has not been easy but his passion has never waned. Of course, passion alone is not enough and Matt has talent as well. At this time in his career, there are external accolades for his talent; yet, I know he continues on this journey because he finds his current career intrinsically rewarding.

Do you find yourself in "the element?" Or have you observed this with a family member, friend or student? How would you describe this intersection of passion and talent?

3 comments:

  1. Using the definition given: The Element is where passion meets talent, I am most certainly in my element. As the Art Teacher at Dalton High School, my natural talent for art and creativity combine with my passion for education. It's an interesting situation. I know it's what I should be doing in life. It's not perfect, but it's invigorating! I mean education is one of the most important pursuits in a person's life. One could even argue that it is the single most important pursuit in life since all other pursuits must follow in its wake. And Creative thinking is one of the highest pinnacles of education! So I live in a world where I try to facillitate that achievement in others. Nothing could be more satisfying when I'm successful...and nothing more frustrating when I run into blocks. Right now my Passion for education outweighs my skills as a teacher. But I'm okay with that so long as I improve every year. Luckily, my natural talent in art allows the creative and artistic part to come very easily for me. In fact, I'm sure I could've chosen a career as an artist without the teaching element. But I've always known I wanted to teach as well. I don't think I would feel complete just selling artwork. I can't just sit by and watch others not reach for their highest potential as a creative being. So I see this intersection playing out in my life this way: I have passion and talent for art and creativity. I have passion for education, but lack natural talent. To me, it just means I have to work harder at the teaching part of it. Because of that some days don't feel like my element, but I know they are, I just need to pull on other strengths to rise up to the occassion. I'm learning though. I think in a couple more years I'll be at that place where work and play merge into a seamless joy of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is another great pick! By book definition, I am in my element. I am getting paid to do what I love...teaching children. I used to play school in my basement. When I went to college, I took my parents advice to choose a field that paid more money than education. I was a year short from getting my business major and told my parents I just really wanted to be a teacher. They paid for the extra time it took and I am thankful everyday that I am a teacher. I get paid to do what I like to do..how great is that?

    That is the practical me. The wild, crazy me thinks that I would be in my element if I could make money doing something artistic or maybe a d.j. on an 80's radio station. Maybe after my kids finish college I could pursue one of those areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen so many people choose a career because of money instead of love and it's so sad. They're wasting all of that time trying to be someone they're not. Eventually, the elememt has to come out in some way. Of course, if you don't know what your element is, then that's a little different. Maybe you have to experiment a little.

    ReplyDelete